Everything can and will change

Lisa - Denver, Colorado
Themes: change

You don’t have to ask yourself all the time what will change or what will happen next. Howeveryou shouldn’t be surprised when everything changes completely from one second to the other.

Best example: Me. Four month ago I wouldn’t have believed anybody that I am going to leavemy old life behind and start a new one in a totally different country. Everything changes in ananosecond when the phone rang and the woman said I’m going to go to America for 10 month.

First it was a shock.

A million thoughts were running through my head and I thought I couldn’t deal with this situation which affected my present time and, of course, my future. I asked myself several times, what will happen next? Will everything go my way and the most important question; will I get my old life back?

I was now an exchange student from Germany who will fly once half around the world and start a new life without the direct support of the family and friends. And I had to do this all by my own. Of course, I could speak the language on an okay level and I got a host family who will support me but except of those things, I was alone. I had never believed that I will get this chance which I wanted so much and now I wasn’t sure if I really want to take this chance.

I had to face the truth that I won’t get my old life back as it was when I left. Nothing lasts forever; nothing stays in the same condition. The year changes from spring to winter, the day from morning to night. But also your character and your personality can and will change because of one little incident that can throw over your whole life and you have to deal with it on your own.

The thing is that you can’t hold time in your hands or lock it in a box. Time will always find a way to escape. I didn’t really realize that time also will run by for my family and friends, that they also change themselves and that things will happen at home, without me, too.

But finally I recognized that there is one place where you can hold time. In your memories. No one can ever take away your memories and this gives you the strength to handle those everyday changes because you can always hold on to your memories. Only with the memories of my family and my friends I could survive this year and end it successful because I always knew that there was someone waiting for me.

And now I know for sure that everything can and will change for some reason. You have to go through all those changes to expand your mind and your view of life to succeed in your future.