Tom - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: pleasure

I believe in relaxing. Stress may be an unavoidable part of life, but why just let it eat you up inside when you can just relax and find a way to deal with it productively?

Everyone in my family is a sport fanatic, so last year during the Bears’ playoff run, no one else in my family could really function on game days. It was always “This team will eat us alive if we don’t do this . . .,” or “Man, why can’t the game just start already.” Our whole existence seemed to revolve around it. To me, it felt like none of them were enjoying it, especially because one of our favorite teams is so rarely this good. Yes, I too was nervous. But I didn’t let it effect every waking moment of my life. For me, I thought of the cool things, like how almost everyone in the school found a Bears shirt to wear, or how every day it was on the front page of the news. I don’t think the rest of my family got as much out of it as I did. Where every play my dad would pace back and forth in front of the TV and my mom would have to be doing something with her hands so she could calm herself, I was sitting on the couch, again thinking how cool it all really was.

Everyone knows stress is one of the most unpleasant feelings there is. There is absolutely nothing worse for students then a late night of homework, especially when all you can think about is, “I’m missing two hours of sleep doing something I hate only so I can repeat the process tomorrow.” It may be easy to take a break on one of those nights, but then you remember that you’re just going to be up later, making it even worse. All I hear at school is “I just got completely loaded with homework tonight,” or “Uggh, I just got assigned a massive project that’s gonna take me all weekend.”

Whatever happened to “This is great! I only have two small assignments tonight,” or “It looks like I’m may be able to relax for a little bit tonight.” No one ever concentrates on the good things anymore. Everyone just gets eaten alive by stress, even some of our parents who stay at home. But I normally don’t feel this stress. That’s because I relax. I think the people who are most successful in life are the ones who turn this stress around into something positive. Sometimes, I try to play games with my homework, like “Lets see if my teacher can read my work if I write extra sloppy”. Life is so much simpler with even a small exercise like this. If you just relax, you can make life so much more enjoyable, even if it does mean playing weird games with your homework.