A Night To Remember

Alyse - Dowagiac, Michigan

Have you ever done something so stupid that you don’t have a clue what was going through your mind when you did it? I have.

It was the very first week of summer and my new best friend and I were sitting on my bed in my room. We were really bored and wanted something to do, but we knew it was too late to do anything with my moms permission. So we called another friend to see what he was up to, and of course he was at a party. He told us he would come get us and take us with. So we said that we would come. We sat there on my bed debating whether we should ask my mom and risk her saying no, or just go without asking. We decided we shouldn’t ask permission because we already knew the answer, seeing as though it was around twelve in the morning. We didn’t know it yet, but this choice would affect our summer and friendship forever.

So we hurried and got dressed (thinking we were quiet and that everyone was in bed). My bedroom is in the basement of my house and I have only one window. It was small but we could fit. We got a chair from my closet and stood on it to reach the window. I pushed out the screen and made an effort to be quiet going out. My friend came behind me. We sat outside my window thinking about what we had just done. So many thoughts were going through my mind at that point. “should we go back?” “we are gonna be in so much trouble” “what if my mom comes down to check on us and we’re gone?” But we just sat there waiting for our ride.

Just then we hear a voice. “Where do you guys think you’re going?” Guess who it was? Yep, my dad. I knew I was about to be put on lockdown. My new best friend was no longer welcome at our house and I was grounded for a “very long time”. My dad took her home and I went down to bed. That night my parents didn’t really say anything to me. My mom just gave the worst look a mother can give her daughter. The I’m-so-disappointed-in-you- look. I was in shock. I didn’t realize what I had done until the next morning.

I had one of the longest lectures of my life that day and for some weeks afterward. I was grounded from my friends, cell phone, and computer. So pretty much my first month of summer was ruined. I cried a lot for those weeks. I think I was just really disappointed in myself. All I know was after two weeks I thought I was going to die.

My mom sensed that I had learned my lesson and let me have my cell phone back and I was allowed to hang out with my friends again. With the exception of one. I was so happy that I could see my boyfriend and all of my other friends.

That particular friend and I talked some more after that incident and my parents gave her and I another chance to hang out toward the end of the summer. We hung out a little bit but it just wasn’t the same.

Once school started we figured out that we had no classes together and opposite lunches. So we really don’t hang out anymore. But to be honest, I’m glad. There are certain friends that should only be acquaintances.

Those first two weeks of summer I will never get back. I just wish that I would have thought about the outcome of my actions before we did what we did.