This I Believe “A Hero in Times”

Isaac - Dowagiac, Michigan
Themes: humanism

What is a hero? What does it take to be a hero? What is the best quality of a hero? What does it take to become a superhero? These questions are questions that have been asked time and time again. The definition of a hero to me is someone in the world who has done something to make the people around them feel better and more safe than normal. This definition is a great meaning that defines almost everyone around us. These people that I am talking about are people that we see almost everyday. The people that I am talking about people who make a difference in lives everyday, people like policemen, firemen, and even crosswalk helpers are this definitions of heroes everyday.

Who is a hero in history? A hero in history that made a great impact was Martin Luther King Jr. Some people may ask, why would you choose Martin Luther King Jr. as your hero? I choose Martin Luther King Jr. as my hero because he stood up for what should have been right in this country and what should’ve been done in the first place. Martin Luther King Jr. is inspirational to me because he encouraged so many other people to stand up for what is right, and that’s what made a difference to the people around him. What is even more inspiring is that even after he was murdered his memory and the demonstrations that he led made an impact to the whole world and even the country we live in.

This is what I believe in as to being a hero. No matter how horrible you yourself have been treated you can still make a difference in the lives of the people around you and that you can still be a hero to someone, and still be able to make an impact in their life. “If you deliberately plan on being less than you are capable of being, then I warn you that you’ll be unhappy for the rest of your life.” This quote by Abraham Maslow tells exactly what a hero should be. This hero should deliberately plan on being better than capable so he or she can make others feel comfortable.