It’s Now or Never

Nancy - Dowagiac, Michigan

I always thought that there would always be a tomorrow. Unfortunately, I discovered that it’s not true. It wasn’t until November of last year that I started to care for things in life that I took for granted. It was a depressing moment that came into my life that made me change.

The day was dark and rainy when I received a phone call saying that my grandmother had past away. When hearing that, I cried as hard as I could. The fact that I hadn’t told my grandma how I felt weighed on my conscience. How much I wanted a hug, or a kiss from her. I’m sure though, that she also passed on hoping that it was I, the one who took the first step to show affection. I regret for not leaving aside my pride to tell her how much I loved her.

She wasn’t that type of grandmother that would show you that she cared and loved you. She would act like as if she didn’t care. If I told her that I loved her, she wouldn’t say anything. A glance and a serious face is all she gave me. I have to accept that I learned many things from her that make up my personality. Sometimes, I wonder how it‘d be like if she was still here. I would have so many thing to say, but it’s not even worth thinking that because the “if” is a thing of the past.

It’s not a moment like this that has to make you react to decide that it’s time for a change. It could happen in any place and at anytime. Finishing school, taking a career, starting to be a better parent or son, showing affection, quitting smoking and drinking are just some of the many things that can make you feel and be a better person. As time passed ,I came to a conclusion. Things happen for a reason.

There are days that my friends or family want to do something, but they don’t have the courage to do it. In order to convince them, all I have to do is tell them: “It’s now or never.” That is usually the push that gives them the courage. It actually makes me feel better to give a push because, then there‘s nothing to regret if you tried. Many people are always aware of what others might do or think about them. Taking the risk or chance is something that could be worth gold.

You are never going to change people from being the way they are unless you are the change. It’s still hard form me to ask for forgiveness, thank people and say I love you, but somehow I still manage to say how I feel. I am no one in your life to tell you what to do or to think, but take it from a stranger: “It’s now or never.”