Alyssa - Cassopolis Michigan 49031

Learning From Your Mistakes

Learning from your mistakes is a big part of maturing and growing up. Without making mistakes, people in the world would have nothing to talk about, nothing to learn from. Although someone may very well disagree with my point, I strongly believe that people can learn from their mistakes.

As a teenager living in the 21st Century, you can believe that I am bound to make a few mistakes. Just last week out on the volleyball court, a girl from the other team was set up to spike. I jumped up for the block and touched it leaving it to fall right back down in my face because my timing was off. I was not ready to return it, I made a mistake. I now know that I must be ready for those situations and that I must not assume that the ball just won’t come back over. Not only have I made many mistakes out on the court but outside of sports at home there have been several. One evening I was on the computer and I was asked to let the dog out. I did so and came right back in and started talking to my friends again. I lost track of time and I left the dog out for about a half an hour. Now, some might say that I was just being careless and I might have to agree, but it was also a mistake I made and one that I learned from.

The mistakes I have made may seem very minor and one might say that, “Yes, you can learn from you mistakes, but why believe in it so strongly?” Well it’s as I said earlier, without mistakes there would be nothing to talk about, nothing to learn from. It’s as though everyone would be perfect. But perfect would be boring. Think about it, there would be no learning, no excitement of success when you’ve done something wrong but gained from that mistake. It’s just as John Wooden said, “If you’re not making mistakes, then you’re not doing anything. I’m positive a doer makes mistakes.” Being a doer and knowing that you’re challenging yourself each and everyday by trying something new or even doing something you’ve done a thousand times seems a lot more fun and exciting than knowing that you can just do everything right without any effort.

People don’t realize how much knowledge you actually gain from just learning from a simple mistake. We all remember that one math problem on a homework assignment that you would have and struggle with, but as soon as you solved it, it seemed to make the rest of your homework easier, maybe even that chapter because you learned by getting it wrong how to do it right.

The things we have learned from are what make the world go round, it’s how we’ve become intellectuals. Learning from mistakes is why you and I are here today.