Haley - Dowagiac

Haley Spencer

Stay True

If I told you that there has never been one single time in my life where I haven’t remained true to myself, then I’d also tell you that you can call me a liar. Most of the time I do stay true to myself and stand up for what I believe in, but I know there have been times when I haven’t. No when I momentarily forgot to.

Every once in a while there are most definitely reasons to just stand back and let things go. That doesn’t mean the thought up standing up for what I believe in or for myself didn’t cross my mind. This has never happened to me, but there have been a lot of unnecessary fights in the schools I have gone to or do go to because someone had interpreted something the wrong way. These people may have believed that they needed to be violent, but I don’t see why. What I don’t understand is why they couldn’t just talk about the problem (if there even was one) to straighten things out. In my case I would probably just walk away and forget about it and be the bigger person.

There is a woman that had a summer home near where I live who would always call the cops on us when we wouldn’t have even done anything wrong. She just wouldn’t like it. So this past summer this kids in my neighborhood and I were playing a game of ghost in the graveyard down at the beach. Its was about 9:30 p.m. when this lady came out of her house and tried to tell us that we had to go home. We didn’t really understand why, but she said that we were being too loud. She told us we all need to go home or else she would call the cops (she would always threaten us this way and would actually sometimes do it).We all went back up to my house because it was still early, and since I was angered by this I suggested we go back down to the beach to just sit and play duck duck goose. So we went back down and she ended up calling the cops. She got her way that moment, but I feel we got ours too.

I believe you should always follow your gut as well. Once my sister, our friend and I were going to shoot off a beebee gun because we were bored. I got the feeling that something bad was going to happen so I went back home. Later I found out that there was an old man by a sign they were shooting at who said they tried to shoot him and they got in trouble.

It’s important to me to do what I think is right, stand up for what I believe in, and stay true to myself. If I do something it won’t ever be because everyone else is. It will be because I want to. Rarely will I ever go down without a fight no matter how small of a chance I had. At least I tried.