Victoria - Dowagiac, Michigan
Themes: equality

Equality for many is an intangible thing. Most people will say they believe in equality, but who really believes it in every sense of the word? I do. Equality for me is

something i feel everyone deserves. Whether you are Black, White, Asian, disabled physically or mentally, rich, poor, christian, Muslim, anything. To me outside traits are

meaningless. I don’t believe that anyone is superior to anyone else in one way or another by the color of their skin, religious beliefs, or physical ability.

Though many people young and old speak of a perfect society with equality, it is hard to find that in this day and age anywhere. Even in one city you find some areas more accepting of other races, disabilities, and religions, yet right down the street its different. The first time I remember experiencing inequality was in the 5Th grade. It was outside at recess and a bus used to go by everyday at the same time while i was outside. It was the so called “short bus”. For students attending Lewis Cass Schools. Which

is a school for students with physical and or mental disabilities or limitations. The other kids I would hang out with would always tell someone they didn’t like that they “rode the

short bus” as an insult. I didn’t understand why until I came home that day and asked my parents about it.

They explained everything to me and I was confused. Why would it matter to the kids I played with if the students who went to that school weren’t the same as them, and why would they consider riding that bus something to be embarrassed about? Even as an 11 year old 5Th grader who would much rather sit in the classroom all day doing work then stand up to those kids, I did. I told them a mixture of what my parents had said and what I had heard on T.V. and such. I said, “Now how would you like it if everyone who rode that bus made fun of you? What if they were all inside the bus saying, ‘Ha ha. Look at those kids. They look so weird. My wheelchair is so much cooler, ha, they actually have to use their legs to get around’?”

That question actually struck most the kids speechless. But then they started laughing again, this time at me. But I didn’t care, I had just stood up for something I

had truly believed in, equality, and it felt great. Having strong beliefs and voicing them never was a weak point for me. Although most of the time my voicing was and is about

equality. I believe that once our society realizes the importance of true equality, the world will be much more peaceful. Without the chains of inequality holding us back

any longer, it is very easy to consider life being easier, more enjoyable, and much more peaceful.

Though it might seem that my opinion of the world and the people in it is very low, that’s not true.  There are a multitude of people who feel the same way I do.  What I believe the world needs more of is people who will voice that opinion.  It’s a long road to complete equality in our society.  I just hope it comes soon.