NaKia - denver, Colorado
Themes: morality

My grandma always told me that if I played with street dogs, I will wake up one day with fleas. Because I was so young and I didn’t understand, I really thought she was talking about real dogs. One day I finally realized that she wasn’t.

When I reached fifth grade, I had already determined that I wanted to go to college and I wanted to be something in life. To achieve my goal I was going to have to keep my good grades and keep myself out of trouble. Up until now, I had chosen my friends pretty well. I met two girls who had been trouble makers all of their lives. I started to hang with them everyday. We had class together, recess together; we even hung out on the weekends.

It was the day of a huge English test and I had studied the material and they hadn’t. They asked me before school if I could give them the answers to the test. I had never cheated before so this came as a shock to me. In fear of losing my “friends”, I told them yes. I thought about doing this all day. My mind was telling me my mom would kill me of she knew what I was doing; my body told me it didn’t want to be a loner and I would be losing my so called friends.

It was finally time for the test. My whole body was shaking in fear. I kept my head down and never looked up. The teacher caught both of them cheating and they both received referrals.

People today seem to have an incident occur at least once in their lives. Everything from cheating on tests to cheating on their spouses, results in people really revealing their true sides. The saying of playing with street dogs and waking up with fleas is just an analogy for saying what’s done in the dark comes to the light.

I realized if I had of stayed around trouble, I would have became trouble. That wasn’t in my destiny…so I decided to play with book instead of the dogs.