Alazar - Denver, Colorado

My personal philosophy is on people’s biased view of others. I believe that the environment you are in says a lot about you. Also, the way you present yourself says a lot about you and gives people preconceived notions. In different countries, there may be other premises that you are judged upon. In countries that are poor, you may be considered wealthy by the size of your belly. Some people might openly express their opinion towards you. Their reaction is also based on their surroundings. Others try to feed off their judgment of you and constantly harass. Traveling to a country where poverty is prominent is a great example of these ideas.

Three summers ago, my mom, sister and I went to Ethiopia to visit our extended family. Once you arrive in the airport, you are greeted by your family and about 7 homeless people who are looking for money. They all assume that since you come from America you have money. The next couple of days when we went outside, bums were constantly harassing us for money because we looked like tourists. My aunt told us that if you give money to one person than you have to give to all. The homeless people will try to sweet talk you for money.

Not only were they the ones judging us, but so was some people in our family. They assumed we were wealthy because we changed our clothes everyday. This was a joke but it was somewhat true .

When we went to a different part of the country, the kids there would make fun of a tourist by his size. When I went they would always make fun of my size. I was a short and stout kid at the time. Most of the kids there are skinny so it was easy for them to tell that I was a tourist. I was only made fun of in this part of the country because here there was more malnutrition. In the capitol, no one made fun because they had big people there also.

Overall, a person will have preconceived notions about you no matter what.