Perseverance

Ryan - Dowagiac, Michigan

It was 6 o’clock in the morning, and I woke up to the buzzing of the alarm. It was summer, and I should have been sleeping in, but I had to get up. It was the final day of conditioning, what our coach called ‘the finale’. It had been the hardest week of my life, and it was about to get worse. I got up and got dressed, ate breakfast, etc. After that I left to meet the rest of my teammates at the high school. When everyone had arrived, we left in a caravan of cars to go to Warren Dunes. I was dreading what we were going to have to do all of the way there, as was everyone else. But, it was than I imagined, coming around the corner and seeing the enormous mountain of sand ahead. We all got out of cars, stretched out, and then the coach instructed us to run up to a designated rock partway up the hill, then back down. “That wasn’t so hard”, I thought. But then the next we went a little farther up the hill, and it got harder. Then farther up and back down. Then ¾ of the way up and back down. After this we were all very tired. It was extremely good conditioning. Then for the ‘finale’. All the way to the top. We started out at a steady pace, but it seemed as if I was getting nowhere. I felt like my legs were going to give out and collapse beneath me. I was afraid to look ahead to see how much more I had to go, so I just looked at the sand beneath me and kept going, refusing to give up. At last, I reached the top and rested with my teammates. I didn’t give up, neither did anyone else. I was extremely proud of what I had accomplished, as was the coach of us.

There have been a lot more things I could have accomplished so far in my life, but I am always one to quit half way though something, thinking I will just finish it later, but never actually getting around to it. But it’s all about the reward of the end result. I hate my job, but look forward to the paycheck at the end of every week; it’s what helps me get through it. I have to save up and keep working for the things that I want. And buying those things makes me grateful that I have that horrible job in the first place. And often, it’s not even as bad as I thought it was when I look back at it.

I believe that I should persevere, no matter how bad things look or how difficult I think it is. If I just keep trying and refuse to quit, I will be able to accomplish whatever I want.