My Existence

Marissa - Decatur, Michigan
Themes: family, gratitude

Remember when you were little, playing outside in the snow and you came inside and your mom already had hot chocolate ready for you? Or when you were sick she stayed home and made you chicken noodle soup? I’m in high school and almost 16 and I wish I was still that young. When you think about it no matter how old you are, things are always changing, but no matter what your age, your mother will always be there for you.

My mother has three kids me and my two brothers Collin and Ross. Between sports practices, homework and personal problems my mom can do them all. Not once has she every been late to pick us up or drop us off to a practice. Homework is a breeze to her, not matter what subject. Personal problems, between high school drama and fights on the playground, she’s always got the answer. 

Without her our lives would be a mess. What I want to know is how can she do it all? That will all be a mystery to me. I guess until I have kids of my own one day. My mom always made me see the better things in life, like how things always got worse before they got better. 

I will never admit to her, but I’m glad she’s strict with me and makes me follow the rules. She’s not strict all the time, most of the time she’s a total dork and it’s hilarious. When she makes jokes they’re not funny but it’s funny to watch her laugh at herself. She’s always told us not to burp at the dinner table but she’s always the first to break her own rule.

I would tell you about my fondest memory of my mom but I can’t because I love them all. For all these reasons and more I truly love my mother. Without her I don’t know how I would get through things without her love, support, and opinion. This is why I believe I owe my existence to her because without her I wouldn’t be here.