“My Heroes”

Kelsey - Dowagiac, Michigan

A hero is someone you can look up to and find inspiration in what they do. They could simply be a member of the family, a friend, or someone famous. My heroes include both famous people and everyday people like you and me. My heroes are musicians.

Music has always been a huge part of my life. I’ve listened to a few very different genres, but right now I’m listening to hard rock and heavy metal. Listening to music can put me in a better mood no matter how horrible I’m feeling. Playing music can always make me more relaxed and just all around happy. The reason I look up to musicians is for their creativity and their drive to always get better. I have high respect for people that can write and play music. I think that it takes time and true talent to write a song whether it is a metal song, or a piece for an orchestra.

I’ve been to a few concerts, and they have to be one of my favorite things to do. I love watching people perform, especially when it’s my favorite bands. A lot of the inspiration that I get to play music is from watching people play live. I went to a concert for this really small band that no one has really heard of at a community center. There were only about fifty or sixty people there, and they still put on an amazing show. When people have that much drive and love for what they do, it inspires me even more to work hard at getting better at writing and playing music. Playing in front of thousands and thousands of people and making music that could make a difference in someone’s life would be the best thing that could happen to me, and I hope that I can do that someday.

So after people read or listen to this, I hope they understand why my heroes are musicians. It’s not because some of them get fame, or a whole lot of money, it’s because they love what they do and they can write things that change people’s lives. I can only keep practicing and practicing hoping that I would ever be good enough to play sold out concerts, and just for the love of music. And even if I never could do that, I could still play, which is what I love to do, and I can still listen to music because it makes such a huge difference in my life. I don’t know what I would do without it.