Pay It Forward

Cody - Dowagiac, Michigan
Themes: change

“I believe that it’s the baby steps that can change the world.” When I was younger I remember Sunday nights just sitting down and watching a family movie the few times we could get the whole family together. One movie seemed, at the time, that it was dumb and pointless and the point they were trying to send would never work. Recently I noticed the movie on the television and decided to give it another chance. Well now this movie has made a big impact on my life it wasn’t able to make when I was younger.

“Pay It Forward” is the name of this movie. The movie is about a seventh grade boy who walks into class the first day of school and his first assignment from his social studies teacher is to change the world. To change the world is an assignment nobody is actually expected to accomplish and nobody does. This boy however takes the baby steps to accomplishing his assignment. He says he will do one favor for three different people who need help. All they need to do in return is pay it forward or do the same thing for three different people. Eventually the movement spreads and they may not have changed the world but they did make it a little better off than it was before.

If you were to and start your next day with the attitude that your going to go out and begin to change the world for the better one step at a time then there is no way could possibly make it any worse. However if you go out and believe that your going to change the world today and tomorrow will be perfect then you are in for a disappointment. You can’t possibly change the world in one day. In one day you can however begin to change the world one step at a time. To do this you just have to be willing to put your neck out for somebody, put your heart and soul into what you are doing, and start making the baby steps.

Maybe in ten years or even one million years the world will not be the perfect place to live in that everybody wishes it was but in that time we will have accomplished something. Because of this the world will then be better off. This is why I believe that it is the baby steps that can change the world.