We Are Family

Katlin - Chicago, Illinois

I believe in friends. Without friends I feel like a person would be lost in this world, without my friends I feel like I would be nowhere near the person I am today. Friends are structure; something for you to fall back on when you’re in need and most of all with friends comes love. Friends are something that should be warm and welcoming and something you will always remember and never ever forget.

I believe in friends. And it doesn’t matter who your friends are, they can be anyone, at any age and any ethnicity. Your friends become a part of your family; sometimes they even are someone in your family. Whoever your friends are allow you to be confident and they are there for you no matter what is happening in your life because your friends are a part of your life.

I believe in friends. Living in a small city means that I’ve known most of my friends since I was in Kindergarten. When I moved to the big city and most of my friends stayed somewhere in Michigan I was terrified that I would lose contact with them and we would all fall apart. To my surprise I was wrong.

I believe in friends. Every once and a while I’ll get a call, not just an ordinary “Hey whatcha up to tonight?” but a, “Hey, how are you? I miss you so much! How’s everything going?” Those are the calls that mean the most. The calls from my friends from home wondering how I am and reminding me that we are like a family and we will never forget our family. Because though I am far away from my friends I know they will always be there for me like they were in the past.

I believe in friends. Without my friends being my family I don’t think I would have much of one. Our family is a very small and when I say small I mean tiny. I only have three first cousins. Back when I was a freshman in high school I had four cousins but my oldest cousin died. He was my favorite cousin, the one that I did everything with and the one I looked forward to seeing every family function. When I found out that he would no longer be there my life took a 360 and I didn’t know what to do.

I believe in friends. Though my family was there for me and I was there for them during this hard time it was my friends who got me through it. They were there to listen to my feelings pouring out and they were there to help me remember the good times. My friends were there, just as every friend should be.

I believe in friends. So from now on look around you, do you have at least one good friend? One who you are close to and love? A friend that will do anything for you and you will do anything for? Make an effort to show your friends that you care about them and show them how much they mean to you because you never know when that friend you love dearly will be lost. I believe in friends.