I Believe in Pursuing My Dreams

Leah - Vancouver, Washington

Dreams and goals are not easy to reach. They involve hard work, a lot of perseverance, and determination. Traveling has been a goal of mine since about middle school. My problem was being able to afford it. It is not an inexpensive dream.

My first taste of this was the eighth graduation trip my middle school offered to Washington D.C. Being the history buff that I am I was excited to learn about where our country began and see the many fascinating artifacts that started our country. I sold boxes of candy, T-shirts, did extra chores, and asked family for odd jobs to raise the money needed to go. I was short one month for my payment and even though I didn’t like it I took the money I still needed out of my savings account. There were plenty of times I hated that I had to scrimp and save, but I still managed and went to Washington D.C. the following summer.

A second dream of mine was to participate in the German American Partnership Program (GAPP). I was currently in my first year of German and loving it. I could think of nothing better than to go with some of my classmates to the country whose language I was learning. I knew it would be a great experience. It came at a cost though. After my portion of the hosting I applied for a job. For three months I worked six days a week, did not buy anything, and annoyed family for more chores. Once again, with a little perseverance, I managed to save the money needed and spent three and half amazing weeks in Germany.

A third dream that I have accomplished was going to Germany a second time. This time I went solo. That was something big for me to overcome. I am big on seeing friends and family. I knew it was going to be the most expensive trip I had paid for yet. That did not discourage me though. I had done it twice before and knew I would succeed once again. I am now back and realize how much those six months enriched my life. It taught me independence.

Dreams are a part of who I am. Without them I have nothing to look forward to or work towards everyday. Every dream I have accomplished so far has had obstacles to overcome. Whether it was money or not seeing friends and family it was hard. Earning the money made the trips and my dreams so much more special to me. I worked hard for them and really earned the right to go. Maybe not every dream will have big hurtles to jump, but there is always at least one. I wouldn’t be the person I am today if I had not pursued my dreams.