Adam - lombard, Illinois
Themes: death, family, purpose

I believe that everything happens for a reason, whether we know what the reason is or not there is one. At times we can be confused, or angry at things that happen to us, but there is a reason it happened. This idea is not accepted by a lot of people, because it lends its self towards the idea of a predetermined destiny, that our futures are laid out for us, and some people prefer to accept that life is a completely random sequence of events and that everything in our lives is up to us, that we make who we are. When I am scared or upset I just think about my philosophy, that everything happens for a reason. Recently when my mother passed away I was unsure of whether or not I believed in this or not anymore. But after thinking for a while, a long while, I saw that what had happened just reaffirmed my belief.

My mother always helped people, she cooked, volunteered time, and gave people support when they were in times of trouble. She was always willing to help, and even when she was in the hospital all she could think about was getting out and helping people, and spreading the word on her disease, and how everyone could make a difference.

When I stood next to her bed as the priest read some words from the Bible tears welled up in my eyes and my throat grew dry. When I held her hand as the doctor stated the time to a nurse the sting began to spread. When I kissed her forehead and said goodbye, I was saying goodbye to a lot more than just her. And when I saw my father say goodbye to the love of his life it was more than I could bear. Standing in that cold sterile room, all of us crowded around one little bed, time almost seemed to stop, and for a moment I didn’t know whether I would be able to go on. Through all of that I did not see any reason as to why this could be happening, and then I learned.

Since my mothers death my sisters, aunt, and I started up a foundation. Its purpose to spread the word on how to help people, to raise awareness, and to help people who are in need. I believe everything happens for a reason, and even though it is hard to accept, hard to cope with, my mother is able to help even more people now. She has influenced people, and inspired people. She is changing the world just like she wanted.

I continue to live my life, I go to visit my mothers grave, the go home eat, and visit with friends and go out. I watch my nephews grow older, learning to walk and talk, I graduated high school and went on to college, and I sit here now, living my life. I am able to continue because I believe everything happens for a reason, even this.