Taylor - Rexburg, Idaho

I believe that if you don’t make a decision, the decision makes you. Life is full of choices; big ones that have a major impact on your life, and small ones that have little to no impact. Sometimes I feel that the little decisions don’t always matter, but the big ones determine who we will become in the years following. Making decisions has always been hard for me, but I found out that it’s easier to just go out and do it. Don’t worry so much, it will all work out one way or another.

I used to take life too seriously. With all of the major decisions that are coming up in our lives right now, like where to go to school, what profession to go into, and whom to marry, life can get pretty overwhelming. It is so easy to get caught up in all of the uncertainties in life, and let them drag you down. When I was a senior in high school, I had a really hard time with decision-making. I couldn’t decide where to go to college, or what I should major in once I got there. Because of this, I decided not to apply to college at all. I didn’t even try because I was afraid that I wouldn’t get in. Instead I took the easier road, and stayed at home going to community college. Then one day a year later it just hit me. I was worse off for not applying to college, because now I would never get in! I let my fear of the unknown keep me from just attempting.

Once I realized how wrong I had been, I didn’t waste any more time. I made my decision because I realized that although I thought I was just prolonging the day until I would make all those important choices, I was really letting the decision make me. By not doing anything, I was doing nothing. Realizing this has not only helped me with the “important decisions”, but also with the little ones. I found it is better to make a mistake wholeheartedly, than to sit in the corner unsure.