Brandon - San Diego, California

Red star up above the world so high, like a diamond in disguise

I believe in a world without social class. I believe in a world with brotherhood, unity, a place where people are equal and strive for the common good. I believe in something that religions and world powers have tried to make and maintain. I believe in something that I’ve been raised not too, something that most people in America have been raised not to believe in. What I believe in has created wars, which have killed thousands of people, and has had an outstanding impact in the world’s history. What I believe in isn’t just something to believe in a time of turmoil or something I believe in to be contrary to everyone else. What I believe in is something that comes from the heart and is something that I, with only the best intentions for others, try to carry out.

I believe in communism, an economic system characterized by collective ownership of property and by the organization of labor for common advantage. True communism is a classless society of abundance and freedom, in which all people enjoy equal social and economic status, one that has not been accomplished by any government. I believe in communism that is contrary to what most people associate with the term, the undemocratic or totalitarian governments that claimed allegiance to Marxist-Leninist ideals. It’s funny to look at me, a 22–year-old, 145 pounds, strait-edge -looking guy, one would probably not expect such a left, off-the-wall, anti-American political ideology. That’s alright, it’s the ones who don’t stand out and draw attention to themselves who have a better chance of completing and staying true to their own goals. For me those goals are becoming educated and working to see that communism becomes a part of everyone’s lives.

I’m not sure how this belief started. I remember talking about “if I owned a country this is how it would be,” and gave a description of people of equal class, working together for the common good, like wooden blades in a basket weave doing their part with others to make a whole. All those blades when under pressure create something strong enough to resist – unity. From this arose the description of communism which changed my life. My belief in communism has allowed me to take criticism, both positive, for the fact that I can think so unselfishly, and negative which occurs more often than not, being that the United States’ democracy is the best thing since sliced bread, and look at people for who they are, not where they came from or what emblem’s on the hood of their car, imagining a world that is at peace, free of judgment and prejudice, like a new born baby brought to this world with and unfiltered soul. It has definitely been a challenge to persuade others to look past themselves and the materialistic life they blindly lead, like a herd of sheep leading each other over the edge of selfishness. For this I have grown into a better person; this is what fuels my quest for communism.

I believe that my dedication to communism can and has led me to a great future, living a life that is non-judgmental and looking at a population and seeing a future of happiness, one that is united, instead of confused, scared, and misguided, like the goal of every great political icon. I have a long road ahead of me and a lot of heads to turn, but I’m not trying to change your mind, I’m just trying to open it.