Chelsea - Rexburg, Idaho

I believe in laughter. Anytime I remember wanting to be like someone, it was when he or she was laughing. Anytime I think of a moment when I started loving someone, it was when I was laughing with him or her.

I have a friend named Syrina who is very different from me. She is tall with dark curly hair and I am short with long blond hair. She loves black, and I love pink. She usually likes to curl up on the couch with a good book, and I love to be on the dance floor.

But one thing is the same; for some unexplainable reason we have the same sense of humor. All it takes for us to start laughing is an overdue hug or a sideways look at the other. I can’t even remember all the times we started out with a casual conversation and soon we would be laughing till we cried.

Either fate or God sent us together and we were roommates for 4 months this summer. She had moved in before I, but as soon as I walked into the room I knew that despite the many differences between us we become the best of friends. She was watching “ The Slipper and the Rose” which one of my favorite movies. I sat down to watch with her and that was the first time we laughed together. One of the characters kept saying, “That’s amazing!” and we found it hilarious! That became our first inside joke and we often said it to each other, especially when one of us said something ridiculous.

One day I came home from school and we started talking. I don’t even remember what it was about, but she twisted my words as she repeated them and it started me laughing. Then she started laughing at my laughing and soon we were both so out of control that we were literally rolling on the floor, completely out of breath. My stomach hurt worse than it ever had and that just kept us going.

This similarity between us has made us the best of friends. It seems that no matter what is happening to us, we can always find something to laugh about in every situation.

Laughter is what keeps me healthy. Not just mentally, but also physically as well. All of the people I love are those I can laugh with. Not just Syrina, but all of my friends and especially my family. They are the ones that I want to be with. They have taught me to believe in laughter.