David - La Grange, Illinois

I have felt its intense power in thousands of ways. It is that feeling that arises when the overture starts and I am orchestra-center, and I grasp the red plush armrests in frenzied anticipation. It is that feeling that arises when I am standing backstage knocking back the last drop of my fourth bottle of purified water as my cue to enter is said. It is that feeling that arises as you stand next to a friend right after a piece you have directed is presented and they do not look like they are lying when they say, “That was incredible.” I believe in the power of theatre. This power comes from every angle. You can feel it being onstage as an actor, backstage as a crew person, out in the house as an audience member, and thousands upon millions of other ways. The power of theatre is the one thing I truly believe in with all my heart.

I acted in my first show at age 4½, and since then I have been acting constantly. I have felt the power of theatre just being onstage and having such a strong connection with a fellow actor that afterwards you just want to go up and hug them for being there with you. Being onstage gives me a sense of power. It is the feeling that when I am onstage, I actually have power. Theatre allows me to express myself and do what I love. Nothing else has given me the sense of drive and excitement as theatre has.

Since my first show at age 4 ½ (It was a show called “Yankee Doodle…”-something and they had me dressed up like a patriotic Macy’s Parade float,) I have learned to love all aspects of theatre. I have felt theatre’s power seeing it live, in a production so wonderful that you have the chills the entire time. Around two years ago, I saw a production of my favorite musical, “Sweeney Todd,” on Broadway and I was shaking the entire production. It was so powerful. Afterwards I was speechless, and my mom and I looked at each other and we agreed it was one of the most powerful nights of our lives. Backstage work is another part of the theatre. I have spent hundreds of hours of my life working backstage at theatres. In this work, I have gained new knowledge about the most treasured obsession of my life.

I believe in the power of theatre. This power is immeasurable for me. I feel that theatre is a medium that affects its viewers and empowers its actors, creators, and crew. The power of theatre is the most important power in my life at this time, and probably will be for the rest of my life.