Becoming a Butterfly

David - New Orleans, Louisiana
Themes: change

They live in constant chaos. Struggling through life and death adversity, they become strong through hardships. Challenges are inevitable and true consistency impossible. Life for them is a cyclical pattern of change. First learning to take small steps and later learning to soar. They become the most glorious gliders on the globe. Each day presents new obstacles, as well as a new way of existing. In this fashion, they are harmonious with humans. They are butterflies. These butterflies go through unavoidable changes in their life, becoming stronger through each. I believe that humans, too, go through similar changes and every alteration makes us stronger.

Change is simply ineludible and for that reason, it must be embraced. My fifteen years of life have been a rollercoaster of change. Born in Minnesota, I have lived in four different states, each representing a different phase in my life. In Minnesota I learned how to walk and found my love for baseball. In Kentucky, I learned how to live and what true friends look like. My stay in Arkansas showed me how to thrive in life. My few months now in New Orleans have been about accepting change and seeing it as a positive.

Butterflies also go through four main life phases and through each phase they grow. Everybody goes through events in his or her life that sculpt who they will be as a person. These changes can either be seen as hindrances that just get in the way or as an opportunity to grasp something new. By taking chances and trying something new in life, we can develop ideas, learn about other people and gain self-knowledge.

I’ve not only experience changes myself, but I’ve seen how changes have affected others. I was still living in Arkansas when Katrina hit. When I found out that I would be living in New Orleans, I first thought of the devastation and heartbreaking turmoil that occurred in the city because of the storm. I now stand in awe as I meet people that went through it all, and I’m told stories of how their lives were in disarray. Going through a hurricane is one of the most dramatic changes anyone can experience, but I get the sense that my friends are stronger because of what they went through. They can face virtually any obstacle head on and not be afraid.

Butterflies change and develop into adults inside of a chrysalis. They escape from that trapped room and come out as beautiful winged animals. But, escaping a chrysalis is very difficult. After working for hours, butterflies not only break free of their covering, but they also gain the strength they need to survive in life. In the same way, it can be difficult to go through the changes that life throws at us. But through those changes, we gain strength and knowledge to survive. Sometimes, the changes will even give us wings, so we can learn to soar like the butterflies.