Elisabeth - Chicago, Illinois

I believe in being strong for myself. I believe that though they might like to, no one will ever know me the way

I know myself. Thus, no one will be able to help me out of any stagnation the way I can myself.

I believe that one must practice self-control and self-discipline for the encouragement of independence and

success. This paper would never have been written if I had not maintained an industrious and reflective

Only after years of many nights of long talks on the phone at odd hours of the night with friends did I realize

that no matter how much two people care for each other, they can only connect to a certain extent. Therefore

I must have confidence in what I believe and I must know and support myself thoroughly at all times. On the

other hand, I must always take responsibility for my mistakes. After all, mistakes are an essential part of

growth that are not only destined, but opportunities to gain wisdom from. I believe that it is my responsibility

to create and maintain healthy relationships with others, to seek and understand connections to my peers and

environment, and to take responsibility with those relationships. I believe that I am an equation and that it is

up to me to find out what I equal on the greater scale of things. I believe that it is up to the individual to decide

what is true for him or her and how things will affect him or her.

A lot has happened in my life to separate myself from other people my age, and it has been up to me to get

over these events to find happiness again. Life is a struggle for all walks of life, and although I think it’s very

important to have the support of loved ones, I think that it is a person’s conscious decision to help their self

feel better that really sets things in stone. When I was younger, I suffered from an obsessive compulsive

disorder that resulted in extensive therapy and experimenting with many different medications. There were

times when I was better, and times when I was worse. The pills and counseling helped at times, but I think

that it was the day that I vowed to recover, and committed, that made the biggest difference of all.

This paper may sound very pessimistic, but it should be viewed with in a positive light. I’m not trying to

imply that I am all alone in the world and no one loves me, but rather that it is so important to love yourself

because if you do not, no one else can. True friends that you can trust and rely on are one of the most amazing

things in this life, but it is equally important to be your own friend and to be consistent in your decision-making.

Self-esteem, self-love, and self-respect are what I believe ultimately determine one’s success. Through my

experiences, they have proven to be the most basic necessities that are often brushed aside. Only after

recognizing your own power and strength over your life can you be truly ready for whatever life gives you.

After all, who will believe in you if you don’t believe in yourself?