Kimberly - Olathe, Kansas
Themes: family, integrity

I believe in honesty. I believe that every person should strive to be honest with others and themselves. This hasn’t been a very easy task for me.

It started when I was younger. My parents were very into honesty being the best policy. The thing was that there are six kids in my family so it was very easy for me to pin the blame on someone else. The other thing was that, even though I was a middle child and not the first or only girl, I was still ‘daddy’s little sweetheart’. That made it easier for me to get away with things. When my mom said, “You just wait for your dad to get home.” I knew that I was home free. No matter what I said my dad believed me. It took me a couple years to grow out of abusing this. By then my brothers and sisters didn’t like me very much.

When I was eight I was taught a lesson in church about honesty and in this lesson was a story about a child that had lied to their parents and then felt very bad about it. In my eight year old brain this was a little hard to understand, because I lied to my parents. I thought about it all week, and I decided that I wasn’t going to lie to my parents anymore; it was a year before I realized that I shouldn’t lie to everyone not just my parents. It was a lot harder than I gave it credit for, because not only did this mean not lying, which was a habit by now, but it also meant that I had to start accepting the consequences of my decisions. I soon realized that it was easier just not to make the mistakes, then to have to accept the consequences. It took some time to break the habit of lying but I soon got it down.

After all of this I started to not only be more honest with other people but to also recognize the value of honesty. My being honest made me a better person, friend, and family member. It took awhile for my siblings to trust me, but once they saw that I wasn’t going to go back to my old blaming habit, we formed a great relationship that we still have today. I wouldn’t trade my relationship with each of my brothers and sisters and my parents for anything in the world. They are worth more to me than I could ever express. They know that when I say something I mean it, and I will continue to mean it. They also know that when they tell me something I will not only keep this secret, but I will be completely honest with them.

I think that the decision that I made when I was eight years old effected not only my life so far, but will continue to effect for the rest of my life.