Martin - Katy, Texas
Themes: hope, parenthood

I believe in the miracle of the tooth fairy.

I have seen this miracle with my own eyes and have witnessed the magical power in the eyes of my own children. My wife Liza and I have two beautiful kids who fill our lives with love, joy and purpose. My son Mark Anthony is nine years old and my daughter Marissa Ellen is six.

Mark has lost four teeth and is now wearing a retainer to help straighten his new teeth. Marissa just lost her two bottom teeth and has two new teeth on the way. My wife is keeping their lost teeth in little see through boxes as a memory of our kid’s childhood. These little boxes contain the proof for my belief that there is something really special about this miracle.

I have seen my kids cry over the pain of their loose teeth. I have seen them get frustrated at not being able to eat their favorite cheese pizza. I have seen them scream with joy when their loose tooth finally wiggles off and I have seen them shy away from smiling when they are with family and friends. I have seen them laugh at their own funny face in the mirror and get sad at the same time. I have seen their excitement when they see their new teeth appear.

I have seen my kids go to bed earlier than ever without their usual grumbling and have seen them go to sleep faster than ever before. I have seen them wake up early on a Saturday morning, not to watch cartoons, but rather to check under their pillows to see what the tooth fairy has brought them. I have seen their faces glow as they pass yet another childhood milestone and have been amazed by the experience of seeing their growth right before my eyes.

I have looked deep into their beautiful brown eyes and have seen the miracle of their childhood dreams. My son wants to be a baseball player or a football player when he grows up. My daughter wants to be a teacher or an artist. I believe my kid’s dreams will come true. For me, the miracle of the tooth fairy is not in seeing my kid’s smile when they find a dollar bill under their pillow. The magical power of this miracle is in seeing their gradual growth as a person, one tooth and one dream at a time.