Connie - Sedalia, Missouri

Miracles. Can I say that after almost a quarter of a century of nursing practice in the government and private sector that I have experienced miracles? Eighteen years of living on and working a farm in northwest Missouri taught me that college was my ticket to a life off the farm. I took that opportunity and ran, never looking back.

As a nurse I have had the opportunity to work side by side with men and women performing extraordinary feats countless times a day. I have experienced people with disease and injuries that figuratively stripped them to ground zero.

From these experiences, I have learned lessons to move forward.

• Be optimistic for pessimism breeds diseases of mind and body.

• Feel good about what has been learned for no one can take that away.

• Let go of extraneous stuff (internally and externally) for clutter breeds failure.

• Be grateful for each moment because moment to moment is all one has.

• Stay close to the ones you love for without love there is no hope.

• See advantage in every situation for without this sight there is no vision for the possibilities.

• Don’t let others define you, your passion, or your direction.

• One is measured not by how we deal with victory and accomplishment, but by how we deal with failure and disappointment.

• There is strength in deciding not to surrender to the struggles we go through during hardships.

• Persevere: If today was meant to be perfect, then there would be no reason for tomorrow. Hang in there.

• Be kinder than necessary for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

• Laughter can transform tears into something bearable, even hopeful.

• Set and achieve goals outside your comfort level for this builds good character.

• Give more than you take.

From all of this rises two important and constant truths. The first truth is that death is death. It’s final; kaput; that’s it; the fat lady has sung. The second and most important truth is that life – life – is what you make of it. That is the miracle. This I believe.