Brandon - Orinda, California

I believe that humor in any situation can lead to a much happier and more stress free life.

I often cry from laughing when I am with my friends. I have always been a fairly quick witted and humorous person. This wit is partly because I am the youngest of three children and my entire life I have had to be quick on comebacks. While being under constant fire from my dad, brother, and sister (sometimes all at once), I have found that a person cannot afford to be too serious in most situations. Humor is essential to relieve stress and self-consciousness and I am able to laugh in situations that are difficult for me to deal with, and more importantly I can laugh at myself. It is important at this age to not let small occurrences like being made fun of, the clothes I’m wearing, or the people I hang out with, have an effect because those can turn into unneeded drama, which I like to keep at a minimum. Even in a serious situation such as a death or a fight with a loved one, it is important to still have some humor so that I do not become too stressed out. One example of this would be when my grandma was staying at our house when she was ill. She was staying with us because the doctors could do no more and she was going to die. Even though I was extremely sad, I always tried to make her laugh which in turn would make me laugh. I would tell her stories that I knew she would find humorous or I would listen to what she had to say. When I first saw her at our home, she laughed about how she thought I was never going to visit her in the room. I wanted her to laugh with me because laughter is the best medicine. It helped me forget how sad I was and made our last few days more enjoyable.

When I see everything around me starting to fall over, or even smaller things like a bad grade or a fight with a friend, I do not get sad or angry; instead I try to put a smile on to get passed the negative emotions. By doing so, I relax myself which reduces my stress levels. Also, with a sense of humor, life becomes more enjoyable. I don’t worry about the drama around me, I can laugh about a lot of negative statements that could bring me down and this helps me get through a lot. I do not have to worry as much about what I do or how I act because if I mess up, I am able to laugh at myself. I do know that it is very important to stay serious however, so that people in turn will take me seriously. I see humor as a way of life. Humor is something that everyone should have because in the end, it makes your life much happier and overall less stressful.