Emily - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: family, illness

This I Believe…

I believe that someday a cure for cancer will be found for all people. This disease, which has taken the lives of so many people at too young of an age, with so much life left to live, will be eradicated from our existence. Cancer, which has affected my life in ways more than I would have ever imagined, will no longer be a threat to family and friends. Victims who have died trying to beat it will not have done so in vain.

In the early 1970’s, my great aunt died from breast cancer. At the time she was undergoing treatment, the doctors at Mayo Clinic told her she was merely a guinea pig. They did not know if the course they were taking would be able to save her. For seven years, she battled cancer before finally succumbing leaving behind two small children and her loving husband. Also, eight years ago, my aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer. She fought long and hard to survive, and, thankfully, she has lived to tell about it. The changes in treatment have saved her life. I believe the cure is becoming a reality, but not soon enough for many.

This past summer, in July, a friend of mine was diagnosed with leukemia. At just fifteen years of age, the news was devastating. We had gone to school together for several years and were taking Chemistry in summer school when it happened. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I could not believe someone my own age could be facing such a horrible sickness. He has been receiving chemotherapy ever since that fateful day, just a few short months ago. The hair on his head is gone, but his determination to beat this awful disease is ever so strong. I believe he will live to see his children and his grandchildren grow up.

My dad came home from work a few weeks ago and told me one of his employee’s son had cancer. Her son is only sixteen years old, nearly my age. My dad’s employee is completely distraught and unable to work. The lump in his neck is in such a position that it is inoperable. They can only hope it will shrink and disappear with radiation. I can not imagine what they must be going through. I believe with prayers and a positive attitude, he too, will survive.

I believe one day cancer will stop invading my life. It will stop killing those near and dear to me. I believe this because the thought that a cure will not be found is something I do not want to have to deal with. I believe the sadness must come to an end.