I Believe in Close Friends

Kathryn - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe in close friends. I believe in people you can count on in the toughest times. Everyone needs people who are honest, but who don’t want to hurt your feelings. Close friends give you advice when you have no where else to go and will always keep your secrets. They will let you cry on their shoulder, but then know how to get you to feel better. You want to know that no matter what, that friend will always be there for you. A close friend could be someone you met back in elementary school, an imaginary friend, a family member, or just someone who you became close to in a hard time. I believe that everyone needs at least one close friend.

One thing that makes close friends s o important is their humor. I remember going to study hall on the first day of freshman year. I was trying to get into the wrong door, which was locked. I started to freak out and thought I was lost. Then my friend came up to me and told me I was at the wrong door. I was s o nervous, but my friend helped me understand that it was actually kind of funny. It’s nice to have someone who can make you laugh and feel better. I believe everyone deserves that.

Another trait that close friends have is that they will take care of you. My cousin and I are the same age and share everything. Whenever she comes over, we talk about the different problems we’re facing. It’s great to have someone give you advice when you need it most. My cousin has also been there in the toughest times. My grandpa died when I was little. My cousin came to the funeral even though she wasn’t on that side of my family. She helped cheer me up and even got me laughing.

Another characteristic of close friends is having them always by your side. There was a time when a couple of my friends were trying to kick me and my bestfriend out of the group. It was over something stupid that could have been talked out. Instead it was turned into another typical high school fight. I wondered how people I called friends could turn their backs on me. It’s times like that where you can really see who your close friends are. Close friends are supposed to back you up and never talk bad about you. I think everyone would want that kind of support.

I believe in close friends. You can always act like yourself when you are around them. Close friends accept you for who you are, and they don’t try to change that. They’re the kind of people that you can sit around in your pajamas and just watch movies all night long. To have a good friend, you have to be a close friend. I try to treat my friends the way I would hope they would treat me, with humor, respect, and loyalty.