Allison - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe in self confidence. Plain and simple-a go get ‘em attitude. To me, self confidence is the foundation of a great life. By believing I’m intelligent, strong, and a genuinely awesome person, I’m able to be confident in myself and in my actions. Self-confidence is something that many people struggle with. There are times when I don’t like how I look. And yeah, it just sucks. But then, I reach inside and pull out my confidence, stop looking at my flaws, and realize there’s so much more to me than my appearance. Sometimes I struggle looking past the mirror and I have society to blame for that. It’s really difficult to have that high self-confidence when the media is telling me that I don’t look good enough, or that I’m not going to make it to the top because I don’t have what a celebrity has. Yeah, those times come. But the times where I do realize that that’s not what’s important, I’m basically a rock star. I’m proud of the person I’ve become. Having confidence in myself has allowed me to break so many barriers. I’m able to go to school in sweatpants and a t-shirt and not care what other people think of me. I’m able to express how I feel and confront someone, without worrying about how other people will call me a jerk. Self-confidence means I can do something, and know what I’m doing is right, despite what other people may think.

Self-confidence is important in so many aspects of life. Being able to walk into a crowded room and talk to people I don’t know…it takes confidence. I may have started the night not knowing a single person, but in the end being confident pays off because I may very well have 15 new contacts in my address book. For me, self confidence especially plays a huge roll in athletics. If I walk onto the soccer field, doubting myself because I know the reputation of the team I’m playing is outstanding, yeah…I’m going to play a terrible game. But if I run out onto that field, telling myself my team is sooo good, I’m going to score some goals. And in the end, scoring goals those goals is what matters. So basically, to score a goal, you need power behind your shot. And that power for me, Is confidence.