Eventually

Kayvan - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: hope, sports

Over the past 99 years there have been many droughts. Droughts that have wiped out land, even droughts that have killed people, but no drought is as infamous as the Chicago Cubs’ World Series drought of 99 years.

I believe that the Chicago Cubs will win the World Series in my lifetime. It could be this year or it could be in 80 years from now. As a true Cubs fan for approximately ten years now I am still able to hold on to the dream of a World Series victory, unlike my father. A man can only take a certain amount of shame, embarrassment and pure hatred before he completely gives up on a team. My dad has become one of those Cubs fans who have been so scarred by the team and so frequently hurt it is difficult to root for them anymore. In fact he roots against them sometimes and hopes they will lose to somehow get even with them. He tells me not to get excited or to have any kind of expectations, because eventually they will bring me down.

I have only questioned my loyalty to the Cubs once in my life. It was a crisp autumn night in 2003 and the Chicago Cubs were seven outs away from going to the World Series. I was just a thrilled sixth grader hoping the Cubbies could make it to the World Series, but my dad was a suffering middle-aged Cubs fan whose devotion to such a horrible team might finally pay off. To make a long story short an evil man by the name of Steve Bartman started a massive collapse by robbing the Cubs of an out and accidentally setting the Florida Marlins up for a huge inning that gave them the win and ultimately eliminated the Cubs from the playoffs. Many people blame Bartman, but my dad blamed the Cubs for completely choking after that play was made. After the Cubs lost that game they still had a shot at winning the next and going to the World Series, but all true Cubs fans knew what was going to happen; they had seen it happen a million times. However, I think if the Cubs could come so close and almost make it even with all those mistakes when they finally have an amazing team; they will take the championship back to the North Side…….eventually.