Perspective

Jessica - Livonia, Michigan

About four years ago on a hot summer day, I met the love of my life, Michael. Right from the beginning, we both knew that we were meant to be together. He was my first love. It was the kind of love that awakened your soul. He taught me trust of another human being. We couldn’t get enough of learning from each other and growing in each other’s love. I’m not saying that we didn’t fight. We fought. A lot actually. Still, when I was with him I felt like nothing else mattered, like nothing else could touch me. We both knew that it wasn’t an easy relationship, but we were so crazy about each other that it didn’t matter. It was something we worked at everyday, and wanted to forever. There was one problem. We knew that we couldn’t be together in the end because we had different religions. I am Christian and he was Muslim.

We knew both of our families would disown us if we ever converted. Despite this fact, we still stayed together because we couldn’t get enough of each other. We used to talk about the future, but I think both of us knew it could never happen. After a while, knowing that you couldn’t be together in the end puts a lot of stress on the relationship. Me and Michael finally broke up. It was the hardest time of my life. We went back and forth a lot after we broke up. We played a lot of games with each other by trying to stay friends. We would do anything to have the other in each other’s life. It was something that started off beautiful and turned into a disaster. I think we were both still head over heals for each other, but neither of us wanted to admit it.

Even after four years of knowing him, he still put butterflies in my stomach every time I think about him. I couldn’t imagine my life without him. Then one day, Michael was on his way to work and he got in a tragic accident. Michael died instantly. I will never forget this day. I will never forget the feeling I got in the pit of my stomach when his brother told me he had passed away. I couldn’t stand and I couldn’t breathe. Even though Michael and I were just friends, I still saw him in my future and I know he saw me in his.

From this great tragedy, I learned a great lesson. The power of truth is something that you should never underestimate. Truth. God gave us our mouth to use for communication. To express ourselves and to inform. To manipulate and lie and make people believe something that isn’t true, is to me the greatest sin you could ever commit.

I wish so badly that I could tell Michael I was still in love with him and to tell him my true feelings that I had for so long because I had to. If he was still alive I would tell him forget about our parents and our families and let’s just be us again.

This, I think is the greatest lesson any human could ever learn. We know the truth, not only by the reason, but also by the heart. I believe to tell the truth is to free yourself.