Nick - 60513, Illinois
Themes: humility

I Believe

People have so many different beliefs. They believe in what is right or what is wrong. Maybe they just believe in having good morals. Something that I believe in is controlling one’s pride. From my own experiences, pride helps me feel good about myself, and what I’m doing. It makes you feel better than everyone else and above them. It is about having that sense of cockiness. Not to say that anyone is cocky, but we all do it. Through showing one’s pride too much, I believe that it can lead to the demise of what that person is doing. Someone can be so good at doing something, but once they realize they are good at it; they tend to ease up. They figure that they are the best at what they do and no one can take that away from them. This is where the cockiness comes into play. They are so cocky that they think they don’t have to work to accomplish what they have been doing. It is like the saying goes, “Too much pride can kill a man.”

Through my life, I have experienced self pride many of times. But in one particular occurrence, cockiness was the main issue. About two years ago, I was playing baseball for my town. We had always been the best team in the league, and we had won many games years before. So the season opened with a win. Then more wins came. As the season went on, we thought we could win every game and go undefeated. I remember all of the players including myself saying things that made our team seem impossible to beat. We thought we were unbeatable and we didn’t know how to lose. It was true, except for all the times we were being cocky and saying that we were the best team in the league. As the season came to an end, we had won all our games. Now we just had to win all our playoff games and the championship to be the first team in the league’s history to become undefeated. We won the playoff games easily and then it came down to the last game, the championship. We thought we had this game in the bag. My team came into this game thinking we were going to win. The other team thought differently. We had faced this team before in the regular season and that team wasn’t half bad. The beginning of the game started just like every other game, us scoring many runs in the first two innings. I don’t know what happened but, everything just fell apart after that. We started to make mistakes and do all the wrong things. For the rest of the game, our team was in turmoil. It was like our luck ran out. We ended up losing the championship game and wondering why we lost. I think we lost because we were cocky and self pride was the issue. We ended up going 19-1, an almost perfect season. After losing that game, I have always thought differently about winning or losing a game. Don’t get me wrong, that it is not right to come to every game and think you’re going to win. Being positive like that is a good thing, but too much can have a negative effect on the way you perform in the game.

This is one of my main beliefs when I do something. I always think if I am being cocky or showing too much pride when I do things around other people. Since then I have learned that too much pride is not good for a person and I tend to not show it as much. This belief should be important overall for everyone and teach a lesson on how easy it is to lose something that you’re really good at. Hopefully, what has happened to me happens to the Chicago Cubs this year.