Sandra - Baltimore/MD/21214, Maryland

I believe there’s such a thing as no regrets; I believe it is possible to have no regrets. A couple of people have told me that it is impossible to have no regrets, they tell me everybody has regrets and there isn’t such a thing as no regrets so it’s kind of a silly name, unless they’re some kind of Goody Two – shoes. Unless their lives have been boringly trouble free. Unless they’re just plain stupid. First of all, I’m not stupid. I don’t intend to publish my high school report card here or some accolade from one of my high school teachers, so you’ll have to take my word for it.

Whether I’m a Goody two-shoes or not, I can’t say. For one thing, I don’t really know what that is, somebody who’s constantly happy or tirelessly helpful to everybody? If so, that’s not me. I get tired and depressed just like everybody else. But if it means somebody who’d rather focus on the good stuff than wail about the bad, then I’ll have to accept the silly name. As for having a trouble-free life, that I believe in, but I haven’t had that trouble-free life. I hate even telling people this because they’re always so horrified by it, and don’t know what to say to me, but in this essay I guess its okay because you don’t have to say anything back to me unless you want to.

I believe there’s such a thing as no regrets even though a lot of things have happened to me with lots of regrets, but I’m not going to get into that right now, besides my regrets won’t accomplish anything will they? So when I say “I believe there’s such a thing as no regrets” I mean there’s no reason to look back, wishing you could change things. I do look back with sadness sometimes, but just as often I remember the happy times I had and continue to have with my mother and sisters and I always look to the future with hope. If you have no regrets, and you believe there is such a thing as no regrets you stop wishing you cold rearrange your past, and you start looking forward to whatever is up ahead.