Rachel - East Lansing, Michigan

I believe in theatre.

I have always wanted to perform. To entertain an audience of any kind, be it my close friends, family, or a packed theatre of 500 people, has been my dream for as long as I can remember. I know I share this dream with many, for I have spent the majority of my life surrounded by those who have the same passions and aspirations as I do. So it is clear that to stand out in a profession such as acting is extremely difficult. However, I know that the passion I feel when I do something as simple as just reading a play, let alone stepping into the shoes of the characters that playwrights create, is very unique and will carry me far in my acting career.

I believe in theatre. I have begun to learn, and want to continue to explore how to take what I have experienced in my life, all the joys, heartbreaks, loves, adventures, and apply it to my acting craft. I want to change the world through my audiences, and theatre presents a wonderful gateway for me to do that. I love bringing the characters from plays to life, because they are real. The playwright wrote them because they are real people. This is something I would love to have my audience realize, for the simple reason that it would be interesting for them to notice a character like themselves up there on the stage.

I believe in theatre. I am constantly inspired by those who surround me, the music I hear, the things people say to me. Being a human sponge has always been one of my gifts. I love watching people or listening to them talk about themselves, and I have often been found guilty of eavesdropping in public. The fact is that people fascinate me; how every individual on Earth has their own mannerisms, things that excite them, make them want to die, things that make them glad they’re alive. I believe that the urge to understand the psychology of people is one of the most fundamental skills an actor should have; and I must admit I am obsessed with it.

I believe in theatre. This belief has led me to understand the importance of clear communication when it comes to interactions between people. A theatre professor once told me that if people would just talk to each other, telling one another how they really feel, then playwrights would have nothing to write about. I believe this is true, because most conflict in plays comes from two characters keeping all their feelings inside, telling every other character how they feel except for the one that should really be hearing it. This is another idea from which a theatre audience would benefit: if they witness a situation onstage that is similar to theirs, perhaps they would realize how to change their own lives. This is why I believe in theatre and what it can do. I am so proud to be a part of something that can bring all different kinds of people together by inspiring, teaching, or simply entertaining them.