Penny - Kempner, Texas

Through a Child’s Eyes

To see through a child’s eyes. Today I sit and remember all the feeling that tore through me as a

child. As we all have so many memories to share with others and so rarely have the opportunity

to do so. My memory is not a positive one that should be shared, however, in hopes this may

help a child from the same pain of feeling unwanted, unloved and deserted when in need of her

parents the most, I write this essay.

In a strange way I’m thankful to my parents for giving me the sense of family, hope and faith.

It’s strange because these are not mirrored values, they’re self taught. How can a child take the

responsibility on their own to raise themselves to be a giving, helpful, honest, productive citizen

without their parent’s guidance? For me it came easily and some how I managed to keep a

positive outlook on what was happening around me.

Did you ever wonder why your parents didn’t make you center of attention or pay attention to

signs of withdraw? Well, from my childhood view, thinking back on all the times I wondered,

“Why me?” It was a godsend and it helped mold me into this person that gives, without question.

I’m far more understanding than most others that I’ve meet. So many around me seem to be only

interested in what’s happening in their own life. We become who we are by those that raise us.

This can go either way if you think about it.

Today I could be writing how I became a hateful, spiteful, unloving person because of the

lack of love and security I felt as a child. The thing is, it made me the opposite! We all have a

choice to make in life and we are the decision makers of who we are, how we treat ourselves and

others and whom we’d like to be remembered as.

In no way could I ever treat my children as though they were a nuisance in my life. Children are

so beautiful, even on their worst days, and have so much to offer their parents. Till this day I

stand behind a thought I had as a child, “I am a worthy, loving person that has many positive

experiences to share with others. I will never allow myself to feel unwanted by those that say

they love me. I am the only one that has control over who I become.”

A simple smile, a lending hand to someone you don’t even know, seeing your full plate as

something positive, giving your time to a local youth center, being a Big Brother or Big Sister to

a child in need, a hug, laughing at a stupid joke, these are all the simple things that can make a

huge difference in a child’s life. Life is to short and our children are grown and gone before we

know it. Take every day and enjoy it with your children and children around you. You rarely

know when a child is in need of these simple things.

Watching, learning, growing…

There is no doubt, many adults that I never even knew gave me the spirit I have today. It was

given by watching them interact with their children in a positive way, and watching and hearing

about my peers having loving parents that didn’t disappear on their birthday. They celebrated

together as a family and it gave me hope for a better day to come.