John - St. Louis, Missouri

As I rest my head on my pillow and reflect back on my day, I ask myself, “Did I live my life to the fullest today? How could I have improved myself? Do I have any regrets?” Contemplating these answers I will drift off into sleep, not knowing if tomorrow will be there waiting for me with open arms. Not knowing what tomorrow, much less the future, has in-store for me; not knowing the people I will meet, nor the people I may loose. Not knowing where I will be or even if I will be here. This is why I believe in today.

When I go to sleep, I realize that I will wake up with one more day underneath my belt. I will begin to think of how I can make the most out of my day. Whether it means writing a paper, expressing art, or helping a friend, its about doing the positives. I will do whatever it takes because making the most out of my day might be helping someone else make the most out of their day.

I will wonder if the decisions I made were the right choices and if they were not, how I can correct them. I can not change yesterday or the past; I can only work to fix it. Yesterday is over with and tomorrow isn’t real, all we have is today. I believe in today because yesterday has passed.

I have been given many opportunities, but many of those opportunities have came and went. One of those opportunities is the opportunity to make a difference today. I am uncertain if I will be able to make a difference tomorrow. I believe in today because tomorrow is unreliable.

I know how short life can be because I have seen first hand how short life can be. People are in our lives one minute but may be gone the next. I live one day at a time because, after all, I am not promised tomorrow. Some were not promised yesterday, such as my cousin, who was not promised these past three years. I believe in today because yesterday is gone.