Leave No Trace

Kacie - western springs, Illinois

Above all, I believe in leaving no trace./ Over the summer, I went to the Boundary Waters of Canada for 8 days with some of my closest friends. We canoed and hiked through the miles of beautiful scenery. Before we could enter the waters, there was an initiation that we needed to pass. It basically followed the concepts of not leaving any footprints behind./ I think that we should appreciate the time we have on our planet, and not take it for granted. During that trip I found myself in the most unbelievable incidents, yet did so in a respectful way that wouldn’t harm the environment for generations to come.

I believe in connecting with Mother Nature and our environment. It is so easy to become fixated on technology and ‘stuff’, we don’t realize what could be experienced by just walking out the front door. Our earth presents an incredible variety of situations by itself, but it’s easy not to take the time to truly appreciate it./ To experience the great sensation of swimming in a lake that no one has set foot in /or treading the first footprints in an unknown field is the most amazing feeling ever and would never compare to TV or videogames. /On my trip to the Boundary Waters, I personally experienced something unbelievable that very few people in the whole world will ever do. I was with a few of my friends just walking through the Northern woods, when we heard a rustle. There, just twenty yards from us, was a Mama moose and a baby! I was afraid and excited at the same time. It was the most incredible sight ever and I, literally, could not believe my eyes.

Lastly, I believe that our Earth is vulnerable, and taking care of it is very important. Recycling and controlling contamination is important to maintain the beauty and health of our earth. If we don’t manage pollution and wastes of resources, /future generations won’t get to see or experience stunning Mother Nature in her whole entity. I believe that there is only an allotted amount of time you get to personally experience Earth’s beauty. I believe in appreciating Earth, and leavin no footsteps so others can appreciate it, too.