Kelly - Northville, Michigan

I believe that no one should ever take anything for granted. People in this world live extravagant lives and just want more and more. People get selfish and don’t think about what is really important in life. It’s the simple things that we don’t think about that are the most valuable in our lives.

I grew up in a two-bedroom apartment with my parents and older sister. The area was very well to do with enormous, fancy houses and cars that cost as much as a house in their driveways. When I was young this was not the easiest thing to deal with. But as I grew older and matured I learned not notice these differences. I learned from a lot of experiences growing up in this kind of neighborhood.

My mother is a flight attendant so my travels started very early in my life. I find this to be the best thing that ever happened to me. I got to see different places, different kinds of people and different cultures and lifestyles. This is also what opened my eyes to be appreciative of what life hands you. Everyone compares what he or she has to other people. And in my case there was quite a drastic difference between most people where I lived and me. But the older I got and the more I saw, I learned that it didn’t matter how much more these people had because I had more than enough. I lived in a safe, warm home, I had clothes to wear, and I had not only food, but very tasty food to eat! And the best part of all was my parents that loved me more than anything.

It is sad that there are so many people out there with no families or friends. They have no one to count on or to support them, no one to love them. They don’t only live on the streets, with no clothing and have nothing to eat. It makes you look at your life differently when you realize how little you could have. I always had a place to go home to and a warm bed to sleep in at night. Even though I didn’t get to go shopping a lot, I got hand-me-downs that were as good as new. And both of my parents were excellent cooks that fed me well! There was nothing missing in my life, I had everything I needed.

My hope is that one day more people will appreciate their lives and everything in their lives. So many people think about what they don’t have instead of what they do have. Life is short and we need to enjoy it and be grateful for it while we have it.