Moazzam - Canton, Michigan

We Humans, We do not know——-All.

It was the fall of 2000, when my newborn nephew was diagnosed with cardio-myopathy, and died on the tenth day of his arrival into this world. The first couple of days, the local doctor at a hospital, which certified himself as specialist, said that there is nothing to worry about and the young would be fine soon. Nothing changed for three days. He was not taking any feed neither he was doing any activities the young ones would do like laughing, crying and making noises. So, I asked the doctor about the prognosis and he furiously told us to take my nephew to some other hospital if we were not comfortable with him.

We decided to take our nephew to a big city hospital, where he was actually diagnosed with cardiomypathy but yet they told us it is going to take at least a week before they could start treating cardio-myopathy as he was suffering from jaundice and it has to be treated first in order to proceed further.

During all this period of tense feeling of not knowing what is going to happen next I was thinking about the doctors and staff in the hospital who were associated with him directly or indirectly. I made myself believe that his life was safe in their (doctors) hands and I need not worry about him, as soon they will come up with the good news that they overcome the complications.

I did know that they were just human being trying to amuse the patient by applying the skills they have learnt in the schools and in fact, were relying on nature to do the work of healing. That day Nature was not on our side and my nephew died and all of my trust in doctors was shaken, though Nature was still in work in some other way.

My belief in God has become stronger since that day, although I have been a believer and a Muslim my whole life. I believe He (Allah, Muslim name for God) is one who brings us in this world and takes us back whenever he wants. I did not think of death of my nephew in this context before. He (my nephew) came to this world and left with in ten days and he (my nephew) might have been disappeared from us, from the eyes of his parents and the world around but I believe, he must has been living a happy life with in close company of the Whom (Allah) he is beloved.

Every one of us is given a certain time frame to live and do certain things but we always end up leaving this world. The essence of speech here is that we do not control any thing except making choices. We made a choice of going to a big city doctor but we could not have thought of keeping him (my nephew) home and enjoying with him the life that he had. We could have thought of helping him avoid the painful needles and unpleasant environment of hospitals but we could not, we are humans. We do not know——-All.