Kristin - Western Springs, Illinois

There comes a time in every person’s lifetime when the question that has been dormant in the back of the mind through so many incidents finally shoves its way to the front and occasionally all the way off the tip of the tongue: “why?”. “Why me? Why them? Why us? Why here? Why now?” And man stands puzzled, asking why in the world something would happen. Why do bad things happen to good people, or good things to bad? Through experience, I can truly and honestly say that I believe that everything happens for a reason.

This summer, a very close friend of mine was diagnosed with leukemia. You hear of these things, but it is very difficult to fully understand the thoughts that would go through a persons mind until you have actually experienced hearing this type of news yourself. For me, it was a “why” moment. I thought, “Why would something like this happen to such a good friend and person? Why isn’t karma working anymore? This is so unfair. What reason could there possibly be that justifies this occurrence?” I soon found out that there were in fact several reasons that this happened.

Personally, I began to reflect upon my life. My friend’s illness gave me a whole new perspective and value on life in general. I think that some of my friends were affected similarly. I began to see friendships repaired around me, grudges forgotten. I began to see relief in my group of friends whenever there was good news from the hospital. I also valued all of my friendships more after the news. I don’t believe that one can fully understand the worth that their friendships truly hold until one of the friends is absent and suddenly isn’t available for advice, jokes, or just watching a movie because of long hospital visits or rounds of chemo. All of my friends and I took full advantage of every minute that my friend was available to hang out. Through my friend’s sickness, many of my friends have united in order to support him in every way that they can.

Even through something like Cancer, I have seen incredible and positive results come from horrible, stressful, or unfortunate events. I believe that everything that happens in a person’s life has a purpose behind it, whether it is to eventually help that person, or affect someone else positively. I don’t know exactly what that reason is, but in times of confusion, grief, or jealousy I always cling to this belief with a faithful hope in the future.