Josh - xenia, Ohio

I am a musician and music educator, and I believe that music in schools is important.

Too often, when money starts drying up, administrators and superintendents start looking for the easiest programs to cut with out affecting the new focus in schools: High stakes proficiency tests. Since schools are rated and ranked based on the student bodies achievement in these tests, which all consist of reading, writing, math, science, and history, they look for the classes that aren’t in these content areas first. Because of this, the music and art classes are the first ones to go.

I believe that exposure to music is part of the core learning curriculum in every young persons education. Music has been around just as long as mathematics and written history and should be at least studied to some degree as part of history itself. Music has influenced history in so many ways and continues to shape our modern culture and children should be exposed to more music than today’s top 40. I believe that without music in the curriculum, children do not receive a full and well-balanced education.

Some children do not excel at reading, writing and math, and maybe their calling is music. I believe that if you take music out of the curriculum then you are striping those children of an opportunity to learn knowledge necessary to achieve their potential. Some people, myself included, are just not good at the core academic classes but flourish in the realm of creativity and expression. If I did not have the chance to take general music, or band in school then I would not be who I am today. I would probably be in one of our nations armed services because without music I would have nothing to go to college to study. Music is my calling, and what I love to do, and becoming an educator is how I plan to give back to the students of today, what I received as a student many years ago. Without music programs in our schools, I am not only out of a job, but I also do not get the opportunity to reach my goal of giving back, and those children who I would’ve taught do not get the chance to love music like I do. I think that music is vitally important and because of that, this is what I believe.