Jafar - harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Themes: humanism

I am a young man of the 21st century. Hot-blooded and eager, I have stepped into a world of technology both aggressive and progressive; a vast flowing network of information, opinions, advertisements, and entertainment so pervasive it can’t withhold being invasive. Globalization confronts me with its grandeur, abbreviating my affect, and seats me in a swirl of impossibly strong winds with only a lung’s full to contribute.

If there’s only so much air to push out, let me speak of others. I would like to let my voice blend into the currents of so many around me, so that I may show my solidarity with them, and moreover, a hardest belief in their worth. What I believe in is people – the whole florid tapestry of cultures, languages, arts and habits that give the world a dizzying and fantastic dynamic.

And more than this, to give my own words is to raise and magnify one small bejeweled part of this masterpiece. That when I speak I can define what it means to be an American; what it means to be Iraqi; what it means to be young; what it means to be fervently dedicated to making meaning. What I say may not be much, but it sets in deep relief the extraordinary space between you and I, but, indeed, also, our unimaginably close character as human beings.

You see, its not so much that variety is the spice of life, it’s that it garnishes a dish of impossible flavors. When I articulate myself into beliefs, and you are readily receive me, there comes a synergy between us that reaches beyond either. What I believe in is the social sphere, the place where meaning takes root in the sounding board of countless minds, and takes on a holistic character all its own.

I believe that the whole is more than the sum of its parts, and that each one of us, in playing our part, take up a piece of something wholly greater, something divine, limitless, beatific, and above all, inspiring. To be beyond an individual, infinitely undefined and expansively invested, is something to believe in.