Sean - western springs, Illinois

I believe in hard work and perseverance. I believe with hard work, determination and the right mind set I can accomplish anything. To be great, long hard hours of dedication must be made in order to get the desired results. I believe with a strong and determined mind nothing is holding me back

I have been swimming for eight years of my life; I have been dedicated and determined to succeed for only half that time. The first fours years of my swimming career I was the slacker who happened to be good just by sheer talent alone. I never was one of the fastest kids in the state because I never practiced as much or as hard as the other elite swimmers in the state. I was average, and I was ok with that.

My enthusiasm towards swimming changed in seventh grade when I was lucky enough to be coached by one of the best coaches in the state. Both my coach and I realized that I had the potential to be a dominant swimmer. Through my coach and many other positive role models and influences, I began to train harder, eat better, and became serious about my future in swimming.

After a year of training I started to see a difference in my swimming and so did others. One of my biggest inspirations, Lindsay Warren, would always tell me that I could swim faster and she always kept me motivated. To have so much encouragement to succeed, prompted me to train and swim harder and faster.

While training with my coach, Mike Laurich, I had advanced to be one of the top swimmers in the state. Through my now positive and driven attitude I have been able to accomplish things that not many swimmers in the high school and college divisions have. I have been a state champion many times I hold two state records and one national record. I have placed top eight in all my events at the USA Junior National Championships, and I have also qualified in three events for the USA Senior National Championships.

Throughout my swimming career I have realized that one can only survive on talent for so long and then you must flip the switch and become dedicated and willing to put in the hard work. This idea of hard work and dedication applies to all aspects of my life and I always try to give everything that I’ve got. If I am going to commit to something I am never going to give up and will do it to the best of my ability, which is why I believe in hard work and perseverance.