Sisters

Molly - Greeley, Colorado
Themes: family, gratitude

Who sees to it that my head stays the right size? Who is it that gives me the advice that always seems to be perfect? The friendship between sisters is such a different sort of friendship than just a friend. She tells you stuff straight up. She doesn’t hold her tongue because she thinks that what she has to say might hurt your feelings, she tells you how it is. She does it all out of love. “Whatever you do they will love you; even if they don’t love you they are connected to you till you die. You can be boring and tedious with sisters, whereas you have to put on a good face with friends.” (Deborah Moggach) This I believe.

You know my sister Brooke and I have always had the oddest ways of communicating with each other. We don’t need to use words to get a point across. We use smiles, and winks, snarls and frowns. Some times when I just want to get out of the house, or talk to her about something, we can look at each other and just through eye contact or a wink we know what the other is thinking. Sisters can read expressions like shock, or disbelief, or they have sniffs and snorts and sighs- that can challenge any story you’re telling. Although, no matter how much you fight, or possibly even loathe your sister at times, she will always be your friend, and your defender. She’s a listener, a plotter, a councilor and always a sharer of joy, and sorrows too. Sisters know each other at they’re best and they’re worst, so they are never expected to behave a certain way, but behave the way they truly feel. When your feeling sad you can lounge around with out make up or a cute out fit, and even stick with your bead head hair dew, sisters don’t care. They comfort you when your down, and laugh with you when ever. My sister has a way of always calming me down. Sometimes, when I feel like I’ve made a complete fool of myself, like if I say or do something stupid in front a cute guy, she has a way of making me feel like I can laugh at my self and move on. Three of my favorite things about having a sister are that, when mom and dad don’t understand, a sister always will. Sisters are the only ones who won’t get board of you talking about your memories, because they’re part of you. And last but definitely not least, they keep you part woman, part girl. Your childhood remains apart of you, while your life moves forward.

“Sibling relationships – and 80 percent of Americans have at least one – outlast marriages, survive the death of parents, resurface after quarrels that would sink any friendship. They flourish in a thousand incarnations of closeness and distance, warmth, loyalty and distrust.” (~Erica E. Goode, “The Secret World of Siblings,” U.S. News & World Report, 10 January 1994) I believe that while you may be able to fool the world, you can never fool your sister.