julianne - oklahoma, Oklahoma

“I Believe” Essay

I believe in multiculturalism. This subject is very important to me. With out learning to get along with someone of a different culture you will not be able to make it in today’s society. There are too many different people of origin here in America. Going out to the mall or just going to get something to eat proves that. America would not be what it is today without the variety of people.

I was raised to believe that racism, of ANY kind whatsoever, was wrong. It is not about skin tone or any kind of disability or culture; it’s about learning to get along with people who are different then you. If my parent’s had ever heard me say any kind of racial slur I would have been in big trouble, because it is hurtful to others. To me everyone should be treated the same but viewed as individuals. Personality and actions make up a human being, not color or religion or whatever else. My dad’s dad is discriminatory towards religion. Growing up Pentecostal was not easy because he always tried to tell us we believed lies! I hope someday he will realize the importance of diversity and learn to respect others views!

Learning people’s backgrounds can be fun. I love to sit down with all types of people and listen to stories of their childhood or culture. I especially like to learn about the foods they eat! I love to try different foods! Hearing what they did for fun in their country or when they were growing up just captivates me. One of my boyfriends was Hispanic and his dad used to tell me stories about Mexico. He told me that they have these little vendors that sell dried out, seasoned crickets. When he first told me I was like “ewww!! That’s gross”, but they kept trying to get me to eat one and finally I did! You know what….. It wasn’t that bad. It actually tasted like a sunflower seed. Now I can say I ate a cricket!

I’m sure there are people out there who think they can get along in the world without having to work with some kind of people they don’t want too, but they can’t. A day is going to come along where they have to or lose business. There are just too many interesting people to meet and learn about to think that way. I can wait to meet new people and learn about them.