Life Is Random

Adem - Collinsville, Illinois

I firmly believe that life is random; life is a box of chocolates. I believe this because you really never know what you will get out of life. For as long as I can remember I have always been surprised by what life hands me. It always seems to be different and random, as well as unexpected. “We are moving to America.” Those words, coming from my mother’s mouth, were not what I thought I would hear six years ago. That was definitely not something I was expecting.

Sometimes life is like a box of chocolates just when you are sitting in your third hour math class. For example, you just turn in your homework and the teacher tells you to get out a piece of paper and a number two pencil. Why in the world do you have to have a number two pencil? Well, you are having a pop quiz that involves a scantron and showing your work on a separate piece of paper. So you are not ready whatsoever for this quiz because it was just so random. Kind of like if you choose a piece of chocolate out of a box and you hope that it tastes good, but instead the chocolate is filled with either coconut or mint flavor.

I think of myself as a very athletic person and I am always up for a challenge. We as a family moved to the U.S. back in 2001 and I absolutely loved to play soccer. I played soccer everyday until I found out about football. My freshmen year I thought I would do something random and try out for football, and still here I am, a junior, playing football. I guess what I’m saying is that life also gives random opportunities to try new things, maybe new things you like a lot. Just as if you were to try that piece of chocolate that is filled with coconut or mint and you actually end up liking it.

So if you are surprised by something at school or work, or maybe you decide to try new things, or maybe you’re even surprised by the decisions your parents make, ninety nine point nine percent of the time these decisions will be random. Ninety nine point nine percent of the time, the piece of chocolate you eat is random, because you don’t know what it will be filled with.