A Helping Hand

Dillon - san diego, California

As we go through life we are always learning and developing our perspective and what we truly believe. I believe people are always there to help us when we need it most, even if we don’t realize we need it. When I was 4th grade I attended the surly institute Pacific Beach Elementary. I can still see it: fenced in, dirt field, no grass, asphalt lined for tetherball and four square, and I won’t ever forget how dull class was.

We had the average classroom: chalkboard, old rickety desks with carvings of people from past years, that one bland clock hanging by the teachers’ desk that everyone stares at with anticipation, and her desk, filled with papers that seemingly came from nowhere; after all it is the first day of class. At the start of each school year I would feel a sense of nervous excitement and the same worries of, “I hope I pass this year.” However as the first couple weeks pass, my worries are put at ease. Class was a breeze. I always finished first, I had little or no homework, and it was no challenge at all. Since I came home with no homework, I did the only thing left to do; drive my brother daft. For some reason, this displeased my mother. She would say, “Go do your homework and leave your brother alone.” And I would reply, “I don’t have any homework and I am bored.” After this turned into a ritualistic occurrence, my mother decided she would have a talk with my teacher about my class and how I was doing. She discovered how great a student I was; I turned in all my assignments and had top marks, no check minuses for me.

What do you do with the restless kid that doesn’t have to try to get an A? The answer was simple for my mom, skip a grade. Fourth grade was a bore and I wanted out, my mom knew and arranged a series of placement tests at the nearby school my brother attended. My mom would not stand for me not being challenged. She, like any other mom, always wants her son to be the best he can; if that means stirring things up and pulling me from class then so be it. She made me the person I am today and there aren’t enough words that could adequately describe my appreciation. After acing my placement tests that my mom fought for I was inducted into the fifth grade.

My new teacher Mrs. Anderson was an individual that would never stop believing in you; no matter how hopeless you seemed. I felt lost and discombobulated with the new English, challenging Math, and the cumulative research paper we had to complete over the course of two months. The pressure of everything got to me and I needed help but stubbornly refused. Mrs. Anderson would never give up; she would give me encouraging words even when I didn’t understand the long division with decimals on the black board, “good job Dillon, I know you’re starting to get this.” She filled me with hope and a feeling of worth when I thought I had none.

Some situations we encounter in life may be overcome by a helping hand. One that is given by a teacher, family member, or someone you don’t even know. But I believe people are there to help you. No matter if we are driving to school or trying to get a job people are always teaching you ways you can improve yourself and your abilities.