Curtis - Westland, Michigan

Yesterday is Gone, and Tomorrow May Never Come.

I believe that every person should live every day of their life to its maximum potential. While I am as guilty as the next person at putting things on my “to do” list aside, recent happenings in my life have changed how I approach my personal list.

Recently my cousin’s wife suddenly had a deathly brain trauma which claimed her life. Since she was only a few years older than me, and the same age as my wife, I really took it deep into my heart. I started to wonder if she had accomplished her dreams. If she felt she had been a good enough wife to her husband, my cousin. If she felt she loved her two children enough, and told them that every day. I thought of all of these things because she had no warnings, nor did the rest of her family. With these thoughts, I decided that I can no longer set things aside, it is time to complete my “to do” list.

As I started to think about my list, I noticed that some items are already in progress. Go to college, I am going fulltime to get an Associates degree. Get married, I already have met and married my soul mate, my wife. Have children, my wife and I already have beautiful children together. With the big three already accounted for, what could I have left that is important for me to accomplish before my life expires?

I decided to take control of my own life, and do for myself what I have helped and watched others to achieve in their lives. There is a posting for a new job at work, a promotion if I get it, so I applied. On a more personal note, I have started to make sure that my wife knows how much I love her. Of course she knows, but until now I may not have shown it in the best possible ways. As for my children, I am making sure that I am spending as much time as I can with them, and that we are all enjoying the limited time we have together. Simple things that I have done will definitely show others that I took advantage of arising opportunities.

While I would rather not think of anyone I love or myself suddenly dieing, it does happen. If it does happen I want those I love to know that I left without regrets of not doing something. We only have one life to do everything we dream of. With our minds constantly desiring new and bigger dreams we all set aside the not so glamorous items of our “to do” lists. With that said, I believe that everyone has the same opportunity in life, to be something great and to do something great. This is how I am living my life from now on, because yesterday is gone, and tomorrow may never come.