Alex - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: family, pleasure

Two weeks ago I went into the city with my family to visit my aunt, who recently had a baby. We went to the park and had a picnic. It was a beautiful day and the weather was great. We stayed at the park for a couple of hours, and then we went back to my aunt’s house to celebrate my Uncles’ birthday. When we were driving home I realized something: I felt really happy. I was in the best mood I had been in for a while. I was in a good mood for the rest of the night. This happiness made me see something that I have never realized before. I believe that it is the small things in life that make people happy.

Happiness can be free. You do not need to buy something expensive to feel good. Often times, buying something expensive only makes us feel regret. To truly be happy, one just needs to spend time with loved ones. I will treasure that afternoon in the park for the rest of my life, and remember how much happiness it gave me to be with my family. It amazes me how much happiness one day with family can bring. I did not have to get an expensive present to get happiness; all I had to do was be with people I love. I feel like I need to cherish these moments with my family because they will not with me forever. I want to enjoy every moment I have with them. I am looking forward to the next chance I get to spend with my family. My life would be miserable without family. I would have no one to turn to. My family is always there for me, and without them I would feel empty. After the day at the park I have learned how important family and loved ones are the key to happiness. I will always remember how the little things in life, like a day at the park with family brings the most happiness one can experience.